Bobbly Flay Watermelon Tequila Cocktail is tried & true.
Tried out this Bobbly Flay Watermelon Tequila Cocktail as the signature cocktail for a BBQ I hosted at our house. We loved it! It’s such a great summer cocktail and is not too heavy or sweet.
We made a number of adjustments from the original recipe, so I included my instructions below. If you’d like to try out the original recipe, just click the link & it will direct you to Bobby Flay’s original recipe.
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
8 cups diced seedless watermelon
1/4 cup lime juice
3/4 cup fresh mint leaves (lightly packed)
2 cups tequila blanco
Optional – fresh blueberries for garnish
*We cut extra watermelon chunks and froze them to use as watermelon ice cubes/garnish as well.
- Make your simple syrup. If you have one premade, skip this step.
Use a small sauce pan to bring the water to a simmer with the sugar and stir over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved – about 1min. Let cool.
- Puree the watermelon chunks in a blender in batches. Use a strainer to strain the juice out of the puree.
We kept the pulp and put it into an ice cube tray in the freezer to make watermelon ice cubes.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the lime juice, blueberries and mint leaves. Using a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the blueberries and mint.
The blueberries weren’t looking too hot at the 2 grocery stores I tried, so we skipped them entirely.
- Add the watermelon juice and tequila. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour the cocktail into tall ice-filled glasses. Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.